Friday, July 08, 2005

Feeling Much Better

Today I am feeling much better, and much more pregnant. Although, I had a scare yesterday. I actually had a little spot of brown blood. I freaked out. But so far, nothing else. I feel like every day is so up and down. But I have to stay calm. My husband thinks I am creating too much worry and stress, and it could be why things seem so shaky. I really do just wish I could get to twelve weeks (yea, and then the real worry begins?)

Today I read a post another blogger wrote about the whole idea of testing for Down Syndrome, after she was told about someone who found out they were having a Down Syndrome child. It has become such an issue in today's society, because we have the scientific knowledge now to test for it. Many women are opting to test, and they say that 90% of women who find out terminate. I have such a hard time with the whole issue because we were surprised with the diagnosis of our child. At the time, of course, we were just as afraid as anybody else. We cried, we prayed, we questioned what we were doing. But what helped us through is that we reminded ourselves that we had set out to have a child, and we felt blessed with whatever child we got. It wasn't easy to think that when we first found out, but as time went on, we realized what a special, amazing little boy he is. I can't help but think that there are a lot of Down Syndrome children who are not born because their parents feel that they could not handle it, but I really do feel that God chooses well, and that he chooses for a reason.

There is so much to say on this subject (and you can read all about it in my book...as soon as I get it published), and so many emotions and feelings you go through. What I always wonder, though, is why did they create a test for Down Syndrome? Why not cerebral palsey? Why not autism? Why not blindness or deafness? Aren't those all considered horrible afflictions, too? Wouldn't these same parents want to guarantee that they were getting a perfect child all the way around?

Let's face it, if I had taken the test, we might have been pressured to do something different. I don't know, but I'm just glad that I didn't have to face that decision. All my life, I have been raised to believe that life, no matter what form it comes in, is a gift. And I don't think I could have dispensed with it so easily.

My sister just told me about some friends of theirs who had a perfectly typical child, and two weeks after he was born he had a seizure and became a quadriplegic. He recently passed away, at 15 years old, and my sister said the funeral was packed with people who knew and loved him. So, can we test for that? Would you take your chances? Do you think those parents look back and regret that they had their child?

By the way, I do believe in free choice, and I think every woman should have the right to decide and I hate the idea that the government is toying with a woman's right to choose. After all, isn't our country founded on the principle of having the freedom to choose how to live your life? Don't get me started.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

You know...I was afraid when I was writing about that that I would accidentally imply that Down Syndrome was this awful thing. It's like....yes...blindness is the pits...nobody would choose it... but when you love someone who is blind you forget about that and people who are blind can and do lead fulfilling lives. We all have some things about us that aren't "normal" (whatever that is). I think when we hear the words "Down Syndrome" all of these images pop up in our minds and we forget that people who have this condition are PEOPLE. At first I wrote "Down Syndrome kids" and then I realized that was so offensive. It was labeling people based on the syndrome, so I switched it and wrote "kids with Down Syndrome" because that's what they are...they are just people who have certain challenges.

5:09 AM  
Blogger zannetastic said...

Roxanne, I think you do understand a lot about Down Syndrome, which more and more people don't. They think it is so awful, but it really isn't. And you're right, the proper way to write it is with the person first and Down Syndrome following. I found that out when I was writing my book...
Suzanne

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home