Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The House of Sickness

We are all just getting over a nasty flu bug: Owen had it first, then I got it, and now Erik has it. Thank God Tess didn't get it, but I think because I am breastfeeding she is less likely to get a virus (or so they say). This is my last week on maternity leave and I have to spend part of it in bed! Not a fun thing. Owen was supposed to start his new class today, but we had to cancel because he still has diarrhea, and even though he is potty trained, I didn't want him to have an accident at school. He actually has been coming into our room at night to tell us he has to go potty, especially since he hates going number 2 in his diaper. I think maybe he is self-teaching how to potty train himself at night. We never have to worry about him during the day, it's only at night we have him in diapers. I love to play that card when I talk to other moms with typical boys, because I can see how irritated they get that Owen is already potty trained, when their child is not, because, of course, my son has Down Syndrome so everything should be delayed, right?

I've been really sad these past couple of days; mainly because this time home with both my babies is coming to an end. I have been so happy with the pregnancy and then the birth, and now having both kids to take care of, that I almost resent having to go back to work. Thank God I only have to go back part-time. I was thinking today how fast life is going by; how it's been 12 years since Erik and I met, and it will be our fifth year wedding anniversary this year. Where has the time gone? And what is to prevent it from slipping away even faster? I feel like one day I will just blink my eyes and my children will be grown, and I will be trying so hard to remember what they were like when they were babies: the fresh, newborn smell and the little boy dirt smell...If only they could bottle those smells.

The baby's crying, I've got to go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear you are all sick-hope you feel better soon :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Anam Cara said...

Glad you are all starting to feel better. I know what you mean about children growing up so quickly and you feel in a blink of an eye they will be grown. My daughter's ballet class had a little recital yesterday afternoon and I was practically in tears because I want it to be like this forever. It was just the sweetest, cutest, most adorable thing and I don't want to forget one minute of it and what she did and how she looked.
Sorry your maternity leave is coming to an end. I hope working part-time works out well for you.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home