Tuesday, July 26, 2005

2, 3 and 4D Ultrasound

This morning I had an in-depth ultrasound with the perinatologist. It was a mixture of a 2D, 3D and 4D ultrasound. I was almost not going to look, but they had the room set up so that the computer monitor (which was as big as a TV screen) was right in my line of view. All of a sudden, there was a fully formed baby on the monitor, moving around. I was amazed. I didn't realize that at twelve weeks the baby looks so much like a baby!

The doctor explained that he would tell me what he was looking for as he went over the baby. He told me he was going to be very thorough and measure various parts of the baby. As he began, he would list the area and say, "looks normal." He did the nasal bone first, since I had asked about that (and obviously, that is a Down Syndrome marker if the nasal bone is small or missing at twelve weeks), and he said "measures normal." He went over the brain, the head, the palate (another Down Syndrome sign if it is small), the femur bone, the spine (which looked fully formed, yeah!), and everything he could measure. He watched the heart chambers, and then measured the cord and the placenta. I was amazed at how much they could measure, and everything he looked at he said, "normal." He finally told me that from the looks of it, I am growing a healthy baby. I was so relieved. I know I am not out of the woods, and that a zillion things could happen, but then a zillion things could NOT happen, too.

He actually told me that he could tell me right now (if I wanted to know) what the sex of the baby is...I was stunned. I didn't realize you could tell that early. My husband now thinks it is a boy because there is always something to see, as opposed to a girl, would not have an appendage.

That's all for now. I'm pregnant, and tired, and feel as if I am feel blessed to be a part of this miracle.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

What a wonderful relief. I'm so glad you went. Congratulations on a beautiful healthy baby!

And... Tell DH that boys and girls have similar appendages at 12-13 weeks. :)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

YEAH!!!!! That is so great! Good to hear some good news for someone who deserves it.

2:22 PM  
Blogger zannetastic said...

Thank you both for your support...I still don't feel like telling people I'm pregnant. I keep thinking we should wait a little longer...

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home