Sunday, September 11, 2005

Changing Gears

Okay, so when I had Owen, I was completely on board for a C-section if I needed to have one, but I didn't think I would. And I did. So this time around, providing all goes well, I am actually thinking of doing a VBAC, provided I can find a doctor who will support that. I met with a woman the other day who counseled me and my husband on what our options were in this city. My doctor had said that it would be impossible to find someone to support a VBAC, and if I was going to go to a birthing center, it's true. They won't do VBACs. I also don't think I could do a home birth either, because I would be considered high risk. But, I just want the chance to try, even if it means I go into a C-section again. I would hate to think I didn't give myself the chance. And it's not really all about me, I have done research and there is a lot that a baby misses out on by not coming through the birth canal.

I think I may have an option or two, though. One place is Good Samaritan in downtown LA, where the doctors are both supportive of VBACs, and the woman doctor has gone through a successful VBAC. The other place is UCLA, with their midwife program. I'm not sure which, but I think I will at least interview the two places. I know that my husband's family will not be very supportive of my choice, especially since they know my OB-GYN. And he won't be very happy that I'm changing either, if, in fact, I do. But I know that he wants me to do a C-section, and that is that. I can't fault him, it seems to be the trend for doctors to protect themselves, and sometimes I think it would be easier to do the C-section because I could schedule it, but I think I would regret it if I didn't at least explore my options.

In the meantime, I'm trying to walk at least an hour a day, or do some light weightlifting (a fraction of what I did before), to keep myself in shape. After all, last time I had my C-section, I was walking a mile a day again after two weeks. And it was nice to be able to do that. But if I'm not in shape, my body will not react as well.

We just bought a new (well, that's a relative term) house. It's a tear-down (or fixer, as the flyer said), in a great neighborhood with a great school. So at least we won't have to fight to get Owen into an English speaking school (the #1 language spoken in schools in Hollywood, Ca, is Russian, #2 is Spanish). I have nothing against foreign languages, I just don't think my child needs any other road blocks in his way when he begins to go to school.

Changes are definitely happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home