Tuesday, April 25, 2006

First Sentence!

The other day, my husband called me into the bathroom where Owen was sitting on the toilet. "Listen to this," he said. "Owen, do you want to fly?" he asked (to deal with his sensory issues, my husband will play with Owen, lifting him over his head, to fly). Owen looked at me and said, "Daddy, I want to fly," and did the Daddy sign, as if to emphasize what he was saying. I was so proud of him I almost cried. He said a sentence, and not a two word sentence like "Daddy fly," but the whole sentence.

Then, a week later, I came home from work, and Owen was playing with his babysitter. He loves her so much and she really works with him, reading to him, playing ball, etc. Anyway, as she was getting ready to leave, I asked her if he had gone to the toilet. "Yes, about a half hour ago," she said. Then, Owen looked at me and said, "I want to go potty," and did the sign for potty. I almost fell over. It was clear as day. I thought maybe I was wrong, and his babysitter looked puzzled because he had just gone, but I put him on the toilet anyway and sure enough, he went both pee and poop. I was ecstatic. My son was speaking in sentences!!

When we went to speech the next day, I told his therapist about it. She was really impressed. And sure enough, peppered through the next week or two, he would say a sentence, beginning with "I want..."

I am so proud of my child, and so hopeful that he will be able to communicate by the time he gets to school. One can hope, right?

Now, if I could only get him to say "Momma"...

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I came over to your site through Rbecca's and what a wonderful post! How very exciting! WTG Owen!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful Owen, I am sure mom and dad were so proud of you. Hopefully saying mom or mama will come soon!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Congrats! Owen is really doing well isn't he? I can hardly wait until my Hannah is joining words together let alone saying sentences! The pride we feel for our precious ones is more intense when we know just how hard won their achievements are isn't it?

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home