Friday, August 31, 2007

Fundraiser a success!

We had our fundraiser for Down Syndrome Research and Treatment Foundation (www.dsrtf.org) on Tuesday, and it was a huge success! It was held at the Hollywood Bowl and we had about 125 people, including our celebrity host, Jane Leeves (Daphne, from "Frasier"). KCAL 9 news showed up and did a piece that ran on the 10 o'clock news. I was proud that we did exactly what we wanted: we did it just a little better, a little classier, this year. It was a beautiful setting at the Hollywood Bowl, and a place I would love to have another event at. But I think most people were too tired to go and listen to the music after the event, as I think several people left. We went up to see the music, but only stayed for a little while.

I think we are really making progress, and I think that this is going to be something huge when it gets rolling. Dr. Mobley believes that in about 5-6 years he will have a treatment for our kids that will raise their cognitive level by 10-20%, which would be incredible. (You can read more about it on their website: www.dsrtf.org). I think we pulled in a lot of money with the silent auction, the raffle and the dinner tickets. More importantly, I think that Dr. Mobley really feels that we could get Paul McCartney on board for next year. That would be huge star power for us!

Anyway, it took a lot of work and effort, and time, and now I feel adrift. I do have a party I am planning for work in October, but I feel as if this event gave me real energy: the kind that keeps you up working late at night, keeps you pressing on even though you are pregnant again, etc.

I am now 15 weeks pregnant, and for some reason, I don't really care whether I find out if it's a boy or a girl. I'm just satisified that the baby is growing and things seem good. Of course, I can't get an appointment with the perinatologist until 19 weeks...they refused to see me earlier because I refused all the tests. I'm 40, and chances are my tests will come back false positive, or maybe they will really be positive, but who cares? This way, I don't have to make a decision. We live with the child we have created. I couldn't be this way if I didn't know Erik. He is so calm, so reassuring, and so sure that we are meant to be parents to whatever child is sent our way. My doctor told me that so many people think they can control the outcome of their child by taking all these tests, but they can't. And I agree. I just hope things go well. But at least I have six more months to enjoy being pregnant and feeling a life inside of me. Nobody can take that away from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home