Friday, February 16, 2007

Sick again...

Owen is sick again, and it gets harder for me to handle every time it happens. I feel like when he gets sick, it's like he gets run over by a train. The poor boy is so miserable and I don't know what to do for him. To be honest, there is nothing to do for him. Here is what happened (and of course, you can judge me, I am one of those whacked out parents):
I went to pick my son up from school, as I do every day, Monday through Thursday, and I saw the teacher carrying him and he was crying. That was so odd, because he loves school. The other day, he cried when we tried to leave. So she comes to the gate, gives him to me, and says, "I don't know what's wrong with him, he doesn't seem to feel good, and then he got whacked on the head, which sent him over the edge." So, these teachers (who I love, by the way, and they do a commendable job with the little resources they have), sent me on my way, and I was trying to calm him. Meanwhile, every mom who he says hello to on a normal day, who think he is so sweet, are looking at me with sympathy, (we all know he has Down syndrome, and for 99% of the time, he is the happiest kid in the world), and I don't know what to do.

"Mommy, wanna go home," he keeps saying, which I know means he is upset. All I can think is, how hard did the other kid hit him, and with what, but I forgot to ask, so I get to the car, put him in his seat, and start to drive away. I look back and this kid is just about passing out in the seat, his eyes rolling up in his head. Now, I'm worried. Did he have a concussion? I call the school and tell them to put me through to the teachers now! and they do, where I find out it was a little paper hat that he was hit with, and it couldn't have done any damage, but he wasn't feeling well and that might have put him over the edge. Well, I'm freaking out because it looks like my kid is passing out in the back of the car, and I can't get him to take a nap during the day even if his life depended on it, and so I was almost crying saying, "Are you sure? He can't have a concussion right?"

When I got home, Erik brought him inside and upstairs, and the teachers had assured me they think he is sick. Sure enough, he has this raging fever, and he is sleeping. We gave him Motrin, but he woke up a few hours later, still feverish. I've never seen him this sick. We continued for the next few days with Motrin, then Tylenol, and even Benadryl, because he has this skin rash from the heat. He's still not off the fever, and it's been almost three days (it broke a little earlier and he ate food all day today, so I didn't bring him in to the doctors...we are going in Monday). So tonight, we thought he would sleep good because the fever is down, and he is tired. But that rash! It got so bad around his penis that we finally just put him back in underwear (he was wearing a pull-up diaper in case he had an accident), and I lathered it with desitin. Finally, he fell asleep with my husband.

Why is it that he is so destroyed by sickness? Why? I don't worry about Tess nearly as much. She has had sicknesses, but they don't destroy her like they do Owen.

Sometimes I wish I could have a chat with God:
Me: Okay, so they will have issues with learning, why add health issues?
God: What's your question?
Me: Why couldn't you have at least given them a body of steel, since you were already going to make the road tough anyway? Why give them so many issues?

I suppose I will never know the answers, but still, why does it have to be everything for them? Why couldn't it have just been mental issues, or slowness, whatever, but allow them to be healthy. Why are they so challenged in every aspect?

I suppose I'll never know why, I just want my son to be healthy.

2 Comments:

Blogger jennifergg said...

Big empathy from me to you. I agree, wholeheartedly...

And it's very very hard to be the mom getting the looks of pity.

And it's very very hard being the mom to a sick child.

I wish I could do something, but I will say a little prayer and ask God a few questions myself.

Be well!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

OMGosh I could have written this about my Noah. Every little thing is so very magnified. What his younger brother breezes thru with ease, puts Noah in the hospital.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. Hug your boy for me!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home