Sunday, July 23, 2006

Not a Hot Weather Fan


This has been a horrible, horrible hot summer, and I'm so done with the heat. But, they say it's not going away anytime soon. Today, there is thunderstorms and rain, but being Los Angeles, and being so hot, the rain is evaporating before it hits lower than the mountains. The worst part is that it is hot everywhere. It's such bizarre weather, and it scares me more and more that it is continuing. I feel as if we are really paying the price for being uber-consumers, wasting so much stuff and using so much energy. I have become very conscious lately of the extra things we have plugged in around the house that we are not using, the lights we leave on, the water running for no reason, and I feel as if my small changes won't matter at all unless everyone else starts making changes. We are so trained to spend time, energy, money on things that don't matter. I can't even remember the last time I went to Target and aimlessly shopped for things I didn't need. I only shop at the grocery store these days, because I would find myself buying things I didn't need. My kids have more than enough clothes, and so do we. The ironic thing is that driving home from work the other day, one of those big signs that hang over the freeway that tell you if there is a traffic jam or if a Megan's Law alert has come up, was on, and it said "do your part, conserve energy." I almost had to laugh at the waste of energy for them to keep that sign lit, during the part of the day when you can barely read it because the sun is shining on it, and realized that our city is spending tons of money and energy on keeping these signs lit up with messages like these. Come on, get real. Anyway, enough of my soap box for the day.

My kids both have runny noses, again. It's like a merry go round. As soon as they get off, they get right back on and away we go whirling into the house of sickness again. I know that Owen is in school, so that's probably part of it, but still, I wish we could be sick free for the summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anam Cara said...

I completely relate to your soapbox rant about uber-consuming,and wasting time, energy and money on things that don't matter. I think about that all the time. And I esp. relate to your rant about the heat too. I AM SOOO DONE WITH IT! I hope it gets cooler soon for all of our sakes.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home