Monday, June 26, 2006

Owen is Three

Today is Owen's actual birthday, and I did look up at the clock at about 7:15 p.m. tonight and realized that three years ago I was in surgery, having Owen. I am amazed that three years have gone by; three wonderful, amazing, fun, surprising years. Years I wouldn't trade for anything. I was thinking today as I was driving Owen home from speech about women who terminate their DS pregnancies, and what would my life be like if I had somehow chosen that path. I also was thinking about how when we first found out Owen had Down Syndrome, my first thought was that maybe it would be better if he had died, then his life wouldn't be ruined. But that was when he was only a few days old, and of course, it was before I knew what I know now.

Now, I realize that I would have missed out on so many incredible moments, and such a tremendous amount of growth within myself. I could not, would not, want to imagine my life without my little boy. And I just can't imagine him as anything but himself. He is so charming, and funny, and sweet, and even when he gets upset, I just feel such an outpouring of love for him. In some ways, I think that my feelings for him run deeper than they ever have for another human being, including my husband. I mean, I love my husband, but there is something about loving a child who has Down Syndrome. Even Tess (who is so sweet and wonderful) I know that she is going to be okay, and won't need me as much as I feel Owen does sometimes. There really is a vulnerability to Owen, something that I don't see in other kids. He is so receptive to what is going on in the universe, that I think he internalizes a lot more than we know.

I just feel as if Owen is part angel, and that he was sent here to teach so many of us a lesson we never anticipated. But, having said that, I hope God sees that it will take us a very, very, very long time to learn these lessons, so He better not be thinking that Owen needs to return any time soon.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderfully put!!! Bravo

7:33 AM  
Blogger shellsbells said...

You are saying exactly what I feel! There's something about DS children especially, it's like they were sent here to make us realize what we take for granted. Like the milestones "normal" children reach at a certain age and how when our little Owen reaches them, it's such a huge accomplishment and it seems like we're the only ones that know how hard he's worked to be where he's at. I too wouldn't trade my little O.E. (as we like to call him) for anything. He is the light of our lives and everyone who knows him, loves him.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Owen!!!
My little guy is 8, and right this minute he's lobbying for more chips. He's such a little drama king, I told him he could have yogurt, and he collapsed in a heap "oh, no no no." Like yogurt is the supreme punishment of the universe.
When he was little, I couldn't help see the angelic about him all the time. As he got older, the funny mischievous naughtiness emerged. It's frustrating and challenging, but it does just crack me up. He gets the best of all of us PLENTY, and both me and his dad are Ph.D. physicists.
Give Owen a big kiss from me!!!

8:21 PM  
Blogger zannetastic said...

Thank you all for your comments...they made me feel so good about the world of Down Syndrome that we share. And, there is another Owen out there, too! I think that we have been chosen to be parents to these kids, and in return, we have become amazing parents. Thanks for reading!
Suzanne

4:39 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Happy Birthday Owen :-)

For some reason I thought Owen, I didn't realise that him and Callum were so close in age, we'll have to get them together one day.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home