Monday, June 19, 2006

Nervous Nellie

So Owen was sick again the other night; this time, diarrhea all day, and then he totally threw up twice in the middle of the night. And, of course, we were showing our house on Sunday, so we had to spend all morning changing sheets and scrubbing the carpet in our bedroom. I feel so bad for him when he gets sick. I know what it's like to be sick, and it's horrible, I can't imagine what it's like for someone who doesn't understand what is happening.

On Sunday, Father's Day, we ended up going out to Malibu for Father's Day, but we missed brunch and didn't get out there until the afternoon. I could tell Owen was still feeling a little sick, but otherwise, he was fine. I have been so fixated on every little bruise on his body lately, wondering if something is wrong. I have noticed more and more how purple his eyes are, especially the bags under his eyes. I look at Tess and she is the picture of health, and I wonder why, if Owen has Down Syndrome, why couldn't God just leave it at that? Why do they have to be sicker, lower immune system, etc?

I have been feeling sick to my stomach all day long, every day, for the past two days (no, definitely not pregnant!), because I am so worried that Owen is sicker than we know. I have called my doctor's office to order the leukemia blood test, and the thyroid test, if only to put myself at ease (or really throw myself into a panic!). I can't help it. I feel as if Owen is so much more fragile than any other baby. When Tess gets sick, and she's already had four colds in her short five months life, I don't worry as much because she just seems stronger. I feel worse when Owen gets sick because it seems to take such a toll on his little body.

I don't want to live my days like this, but loving Owen so much scares me. I'm so scared that he will be taken away from, that he will get really sick and...I can't even write it, because I don't want to jinx myself. The only thing I can think that might be happening to me right now is that maybe I am going to get my period soon (which I haven't had yet since I was pregnant), because last time, when I was close I got really paranoid about everything. I hope this is just a phase, because I know it's not good for me to be so anxious all the time.

In the meantime, just as we get our house ready for sale, the market slows down, way down. Even though people love our house, we have not gotten an offer. But there was no way we could have sold is last summer because we didn't have anywhere else to go. We may end up staying here. I suppose things will happen the way they happen.

5 Comments:

Blogger Naomi said...

I hope Owen starts feeling better soon. I do empathise with how you feel, I'm always more wary when Callum gets sick and then feel guilty that I don't worry so much about Kieran.

We've had a couple of scares with leukemia (I hate to even write that word) with Callum and it's my biggest fear. Luckily both time it was minor stuff but it still caused lots of heartache and worry.

Good luck with your house sale, where are you hoping to move to?

3:01 PM  
Blogger zannetastic said...

Naomi, yes, it's the dreaded leukemia statistic that has my mind working overtime.

As for my moving, my husband is building a house in Studio City, so lucky we can use that address right now to get in to the school we want.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Owen has been sick, I completely understand the concerns about him versus Tess.

Miss E is sick much easier, and much worse than anyone in the house here is. She has been battling a very difficult resistant staph infection for six months now, it just won't go away.

She most definately has a lower immune system and I too wonder why it has to be this way.

I hope he is feeling better soon and that things are back to normal.

I also hope the upcoming move goes well.

7:26 PM  
Blogger zannetastic said...

Thanks for your concern...I read about Miss E and her staph infection, and that cannot make you, or her, feel better. I really wish that they were stronger in some areas, like health, so that they could have more advantages. But, I suppose, for whatever reason I don't understand, it's God's plan.
Suzanne

4:21 PM  
Blogger Anam Cara said...

I'm so sorry that Owen, and you, are going through such a difficult time. Will be thinking of you and really hoping it is nothing serious. ((hugs))

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home