Friday, August 18, 2006

A Changed Boy

I know I haven't posted about Owen and the whole school situation, so here is what is happened. As soon as I had the talk with his teacher, I went to the bookstore and bought the Supernanny's book (I really liked her show) and began reading it. By the end of the next day, my husband and I had decided to implement some of her disciplinary tactics, including getting down in his face and speaking to him in an authoritative voice, when he would throw something or start whining. And, guess what? It worked. We also gave him some responsibilities, like brushing his teeth, and putting his dish in the sink when he was done, and he has a little chart that he gets a star when he has done something right. We also have begun to praise him for being for just being a good boy, or for sitting at the dinner table well. In other words, we have been giving him more attention, but the right kind of attention, not just yelling at him to stop throwing his food, or the crayons, or his toys.

We began implementing this on Friday of last week, and that gave us three days of working with him before he returned to school. When I went to pick him up on Monday afternoon, the teacher came out and started telling me what a joy he had been in class and how excited she was about his attitude. She said he even colored without her having to hold his hand with the crayon in it. I was happy. Then, the next day, when I picked him up again, she told me that she is seeing progress with him and she is excited about teaching him. It was a whole different attitude, and apparently Owen is a different child in class from the previous week. I was so happy, and felt much better about Owen being in school. Yesterday, when I picked him up, they told me he actually helped pass out the nametags, and that when they asked what the homework assignment was, Owen answered "circle" which is what they were supposed to color. I was so proud of him. He is doing so well.

So this morning, after Owen went potty, I put him up on the sink and said, "we have to brush our teeth, Owen." As clear as day, he said, "I don't want to." I was floored. There was no speech issue, no rounding of the words, it was said exactly as you or I would say it. My husband heard it too. I had to laugh, but then I made him brush his teeth.

I'm actually a little excited to see what a difference the tubes will make in his ears. He has begun saying "Mommy," but with a very rounded sound, as if he heard the word while he was under water (which, technically, he is if he has fluid in his ears). So maybe things will be a little bit clearer. I know that I'm just so excited about the possibilities, and so excited about the change I have seen in him. It is true for our kids as well as typical kids, they still need discipline and boundaries.

Have a good weekend everyone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I think that I need to get this book as well. My five year old is having some of the same issues as Owen.

Wow, am I impressed with the quick turn around, that's awesome!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Bravo! That is great news - 1 battle down - how many more still to come???!!!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zanntastic!!!! What an awesome post! I think we all could use a refesher course in dicipline on occasion:-)
Great job!
Love you,
Sista Anne

6:35 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

what a great, positive post :-)

I use some of the techniques from Supernanny as well and they really do seem to work.

Great news about his speech, I know the tubes did wonders for Callum.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home